Monday, January 21, 2008

Prada Fall 2008



As I was looking at the first few pictures of the Prada show nothing really surprised me besides the double collars that some of the models were wearing, but gradually, as I continued going through the show, the outfits seemed to get more and more feminine. Miuccia Prada dressed her models which what appeared to be a manlier version of female undergarments. There was a sort of bikini bottom sticking out of the pants sometimes matched with a bra-like top. Before long the models were walking out with mini skirts on, over their trousers. The outfits got shinier, more sparkly, more glamorous and more androgynous. I usually like androgyny but for some reason this wasn’t working for me. It just didn’t seem right. Of course, the suits were impeccable (I especially liked the purple and black metallic coloured oufits) but I just thought that the masculine bikinis (I don't know what else to call them) were an unnecessary distraction. However, I guess that I should have expected this from a designer who is known to provoke, for the sake of provocation.

P.S. I know that the Prada show happened long ago (in fashion terms) but I’m new at these fashion critiques and I’m a full time student, so bear with me.

No comments: