Thursday, January 31, 2008

Paris Couture Week - Chanel

I know we might be a little late to post on this, seeing as Paris Couture Week is over now, however there were definitely some shows worth mentioning. One of which is the Chanel show. I will be quite honest with you, I never really enjoyed Chanel under Karl Lagerfeld. I have to agree with anyone and everyone (and there are many) who mention the fact that the state of the house would cause Coco Chanel to roll in her grave. (I wonder what Mlle. Chanel would think of all these 13 yr old girls running around with pink quilted purses emblazoned with the house's logo on their arms...) So imagine how surprised I was when I first saw the designs from their Spring/Summer Collection. Some of the designs definitely hearkened back to Chanel's original concept for the house; classic and timeless. Lagerfeld clearly drew upon the ocean for inspirations, with seashell clasps on jackets that are unmistakeably Chanel, and in the shapes and colours as well. I love that they decided to put the models in flats, which to me is very french, and it adds to the class of the designs.




The models emerged out of a giant replica of the classic Chanel jacket.









No comments: