Monday, January 25, 2010

Street Style: Shadrack Jackman




Street Style At York Univeristy


by: Sharla



I find it truly amazing to walk around the campus of York University and notice everyone’s personal style. In today’s daring fashion world, people are incorporating the famous runway looks from as daring as Balmain to as chic as Chanel. Some people are fearless, while others are still afraid to take risks. As I walked from York Lanes to Vari Hall, I could easily spot 4 or 5 people who knew exactly what they were wearing, how to wear it, and were appropriately styled with more than just confidence.


Considering it is Winter time at York, everyone’s prone to bundle up for the commute from class to class. It’s extremely hard to see what outfit is underneath the big, puffy winter jacket that keeps you oh-so warm and what people are wearing. Class is an exception. Sometimes even I find myself staring at the person’s shoes in front of me or because I love what they’re wearing. However, I have the added benefit of living in residence at York, so every day I get to see the outfit choices that the people I live with make.


There is one person in particular who caught my eye since the first day I moved into residence this year. He goes by the name of Shadrack Jackman (doesn’t it just roll off your tongue?). He’s in his first year at York University studying Theatre, and has high aspirations of becoming an actor. Accompanied with this, he has a passion and flair for fashion. His street style is extremely appealing to me and he goes beyond the borders of personal style. So I spent a couple of minutes with him, discussing fashion and getting to know his likes and dislikes about the fashion world today.




Sharla: Tell me about yourself, what you’re wearing today, and where it’s all from.
Shadrack: My name is Shadrack Jackman, I’m 18, and I live in Barrie. My outfit today consists of a fedora from Forever 21, glasses from Urban Outfitters, motorcycle jacket from a vintage store in Barrie, jeans from Stitches and my shoes and gold chain are from H&M.

Sharla: What would you say your personal style is representative of?
Shadrack: Very late 80’s, 90’s retro vibe. I try to incorporate all of the different generations and eras into my style. I love fashion’s history and the way it influences us today.

Sharla: So what do you think about the vintage trend that is appealing to everyone today?Shadrack: Vintage? I think vintage is...the only way to be vintage. There’s all these people walking around with their Gucci bags claiming to be so “couture” and beautiful because it’s fashion. But I don’t think fashion is about new and high class and having lots of money. I think it’s about making it work for you. I love how vintage has a history behind it. It gives that natural and eclectic element to the person who’s wearing it. Me, I just love vintage.


Sharla: Being a homosexual male at York University, how’s your style reflective of your personality?
Shadrack: It is so reflective of my personality, I’m a person who likes to take risks in every aspect of my life. I don’t really care what people think, if I feel like wearing short shorts to basketball...then I’m going to wear short shorts. I mean people are always going to react, and I’m the kind of person that loves to make heads turn. I love wearing clothes that make me feel good.


Sharla: What’s your biggest style influence right now?
Shadrack: Vogue and GQ editorials. I especially love reading Vogue. I take things that I see in both magazines, I put them together with things that I see when I’m on the bus or streets.


Sharla: Any fashion advice that you have for yourself or for anyone else?
Shadrack: I think that clothes help define who a person is, and it’s very important to put your personality into your clothes. Some people don’t but I do, and I look good.


To wrap this up, I had an amazing time speaking to Shadrack. It’s always fun getting to know someone on a fashion vibe with fashion terms. Today, his street style is always changing, growing and on the move.

No comments: